Thursday, January 27, 2011

Coffe Shop Order Done!

Today I unloaded the kiln with the entire order for the coffee shop in Lake Geneva. I was very nervous! The test bowls I had done with porcelain had warped, so I made the order with white stoneware instead, in hopes that I wouldn't have a problem. Luckily everything turned out perfect! The order was for 2 dozen each of mugs, bowls with handles, and plates; plus 30 small 1/2 plates for a display window. I made 4 extra of everything to be safe, and managed to crank out the order complete in 2 weeks, just in time for the grand opening.



This is everything laid out to dry after sanding the bottoms at the sink. I sand the bottom of every pot I make with 220 grit wet/dry sandpaper. As you can see, I used a variety of glazes. The coffe shop has many earth tones on the walls, and a lot of rich woods in the furniture and floors, so I picked colors that would match, plus a little raspberry red for fun. I think the customers are going to enjoy all the different colors.


Bowl with handle. This is the logo sprig that I was working on in last week's post. When glazing, I dip the pot in both glazes, then carefully wipe the glaze off the high part of the sprig, leaving the glaze in the recessed area. A dense, flat sponge works best for this. I prefer Sugarloaf sponges, but makeup sponges work well, too, although they are a bit softer.

I'll deliver everything tomorrow. I hope he likes them!

1 comment: